Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Spree in NYC

Well. I have a vacation coming up soon and had made some plans to cover the whole of it. But I received an unexpected invitation to go to New York City, and I'm considering going for part of my week off.

I've only been to NYC once, so planning a spur-of-the-moment visit there is a bit daunting. I do have friends and relatives there who can give me recommendations. Of course there is always shopping (!).

One cool thing is that my favorite playwright, Tom Stoppard, has three plays opening in the next few months. It's his trilogy, The Coast of Utopia. I read in Vogue that the cast includes Brian F. O'Byrne (so compelling!), Billy Crudup, Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennet in the BBC Pride and Prejudice, among other things), Josh Hamilton, and Ethan Hawke. The first play, Voyage, opens October 17, with Shipwreck and Salvage to follow between now and March. According to the magazine, there will be several Saturdays where one can see all three plays together.

For a Stoppard fan, this is out-and-out heaven. Arcadia blew me away when I saw it in Chicago, and I've been in love with the man ever since.

Friends, shopping, and Stoppard--I don't need anything else.

2 Comments:

Blogger Isabella in the 21st Century said...

DH is a Stoppard fan and saw Arcadia (whilst doing his drama/history degree) and loved it. "I happen to like New York..." I've only been there once...fantastic. Have a great time!

3:56 AM  
Blogger G.L.H. said...

Ooh. I'm jealous. Haven't seen MacGuyver or Mattymatt in a lo-o-ong time.

--ma

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home