Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Psychic Friends Network

I saw an interesting "odd news" article today. A man at Trinity College, Cambridge, did a study to see if people had "telephone telepathy", where you think about someone and then they call you:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060905/
od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_britain_telepathy

His results are less than perfect (surprise, surprise), but they are interesting. I'm not sure how it works, but I've definitely experienced this before.

I also (very frequently) know what people are going to say before they say it, both in real life and in film and TV. How it usually works is that I sense a particular word is coming, and then it does. Sometimes, of course, this can be attributed to context, but oftentimes the word is two sentences away and there's no way I'd know otherwise.

The other thing that happens to me most often is that I will have a song in my head and then turn on the radio and that song is playing. If they were popular, constantly-played songs, I'd attribute the explanation to the fact that they're just around a lot. However, I don't listen to pop radio very much, and I rarely know the current hits. Sometimes I wonder if I have a radio receiver in my head.

Perhaps the word phenomenon can be attributed to emotional intelligence coupled with high verbal skills--I sense what's coming just like a chess player can plan several moves ahead. With the radio thing, my extremely unscientific conclusion is that some people's brains sometimes tune into radio waves and that's where the song comes from.

It does make me wonder what else is going on in my brain that I don't know about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home