Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Last Time I Saw Paris

I can't resist it any more: Like millions of other people, I have to blog about Paris Hilton. Why is she so fascinating? I think it's because she's so horrible. Like a vulgarity train wreck.

Sigh. I've actually long felt pity for this woman. By the time she was eighteen (if not before), she'd seen and done (in every sense of the word) it all. She doesn't seem to have any interests besides amusing herself. What does she have to live for? (See this article in the Washington Monthly for a wider view of people like Paris: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2004/0401.wallace-wells.html ).

It's like the line from Evita: "A shame you did it all at twenty-six; there are no mysteries now. Nothing can thrill you, no one fulfill you." Very, very sad. She did it all at eighteen, and in public, too.

Despite my pity, however, I find her awful beyond belief. Fake hair color and (formerly) length, fake tan, fake eye color, fake everything. She does not, however, have fake breasts, and I respect that. However, as a sharp friend pointed out, if that's the only respect-worthy thing about her...

Darling Paris outdid herself this week, though (I know, I know--what could outdo the sex video? Or sparking the ubiquitous "That's hot."? Or the former engagement to a man with the same name? But I digress.) Here is her latest:

In a quote from the London Sunday Times: "There's nobody in the world like me. I think every decade has an iconic blonde - like Marilyn Monroe or Princess Diana - and right now, I'm that icon."

Later in the interview she says, "Nobody seems to get that how I am on The Simple Life is a character....I play dumb like Jessica Simpson plays dumb. But we know exactly what we're doing. We're smart blondes."

Erm. Paris, honey, I know you're a "smart blonde" (except, wait, it's fake...or is "blonde" really a state of mind? But then why would she need the qualifier "smart"?), but have you considered that Britney Spears was your type of "iconic blonde" in the first half of the decade? And now she's procreating with K-Fed. Where will you be in five years?

Though I'm not a Diana fan, it cannot be denied that she was a style icon who held enormous sway with millions across the world for much longer than a decade. I am a Marilyn fan, and the idea of Paris comparing herself to MM is ludicrous. I think a more apt comparison would be to Jayne Mansfield (no offense to her gorgeous and talented daughter, Mariska Hargitay, of whom I'm also a fan).

Paris, darling, get a life and do something. I know you have no talent, but if you really are a "smart blonde", you'll stop acting like a dumb one.

But then, who would pay attention to her?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home