Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Bit by bit, putting it together

I'm attempting to become an organized, disciplined person. I am actually more organized than disciplined, although I'm not very strong on either. People often confuse the two. Organization means that you can find what you need within a short period of time, and that your stuff does not overwhelm you. Discipline goes deeper; it has to do with keeping your word, to yourself and to other people. It means doing what you need to do, with intention, and being efficient enough at it to have time left over to do what you want to do.

Procrastination has always been an addiction of mine I couldn't seem to shake. I need to shake it, though. It's high time. I have long wanted to be punctual, organized, efficient, self-disciplined...but not at the expense of freedom, creativity, and relaxation. I think, though, that there must be a higher plane (so to speak) where they can coexist and reinforce each other. Still thinking about that, and certainly still working on it.

Writing in this blog is a small step toward self-discipline. I often tell people I'm a good writer, but a lazy one. Too lazy to actually do anything with my writing, up till now, and I feel guilty about this. I feel like I have squandered time, opportunity, and a talent I've been given. I need to do better.

I like the confessional anonymity of blogging. I can make a public declaration (that no one is reading, but it's out there) without having to reveal too much. Of course, some people reveal everything, which is quite foolhardy (not to mention boring). But I get the appeal.

1 Comments:

Blogger G.L.H. said...

Dorothy,

Love your first entries! It will be wonderful to read your *writing* so often.

May I use this line:

Discipline goes deeper; it has to do with keeping your word, to yourself and to other people. It means doing what you need to do, with intention, and being efficient enough at it to have time left over to do what you want to do.

It seems a fine description of my own journey, of which I cannot yet say "well begun." I was going to blog today on "All or nothin'," like the song Ado Annie sings in Oklahoma--now to read this definition, I think I have my entry!!

If I tell you I love Scrabble, and then pick the pseudonym G.L.H., will you know who I am??

I signed up for a blog on this site, it will be called Rainbow Cottage...

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home