Wednesday, July 05, 2006

To sleep, perchance to dream

Sleep: I am one of those people who needs eight hours per night to be happy, preferably the same eight hours every night. Being a night owl, I usually go to bed between 1am and 3am, and get up somewhere between 10 and 11 (whenever possible; I have the sort of job that allows me this schedule, though I do occasionally have earlier meetings). Most days this is sufficient...but some days, I feel like sleeping all day.

Like today. I had seven hours of sleep. But in between all of my work and activities I took an hour nap in the early afternoon, another hour's nap in the early evening, and then lay on the couch to watch television for an hour and half because I didn't have the energy to do anything else. I literally dragged myself off the couch to come write this blog (I've promised myself to write in the blog daily, come what may, which means that some of the entries will be less profound than others. This one fits the "less profound" category. Although I'm not sure if I'll actually end up writing anything profound, sigh.). But it's nowhere close to bedtime, and if I go to bed this early, will I be able to sleep? How much will it disrupt my normal sleep pattern?

Dreams: Speaking of disrupting my normal sleep pattern...I've fallen into a weird dreaming pattern. At least once a week, and often more, I wake up at 6 or 7am. I know I need to go back to sleep, so I do. But I will often be dreaming right before then, and so I write the dream down. I have written down the most hilarious statements, and once in a while, the dream even makes sense. The one I had last night was political and dramatic, and could certainly be a useful fictional scene.

Macbeth may have murdered sleep, but I need to go find the "sleep that knits up the ravell'd sleave of care." I don't seem to have the energy for anything else.

1 Comments:

Blogger G.L.H. said...

Tag! You're it!! See here:

--G.L.H.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home