Wednesday, August 16, 2006

This Is Why We Do It, Baby

Well. A few days ago I was ruminating on (is that the right preposition? should I use "over"? does "ruminating" even take a preposition? sigh...) my work "personality" and what that might mean for my future. Today I've had two people come to me and remind me (all unknowing) why I do the work I do.

This was good. My job goes in cycles, and some seasons are much more intense than others. A coworker puts it this way: "My work gives me a lot of free time. I just can't predict with much accuracy when it will be." This is one of the reasons I like my job. This is also a reason my job is difficult. Lately I've also been thinking about all the failures and unpleasant aspects of my job, and needed a reminder about why my work is good, useful, meaningful, etc. I just couldn't muster it myself.

Today a woman came to me and went on for twenty minutes about how one conversation we had months ago has changed her whole perspective. Later I had a long conversation with someone who's going through some hard times. I'd spent some time trying to work with this person before, but eventually decided that I wasn't helpful. But now, I guess, I must have helped after all, because we seem to have made a connection.

I really needed this, because the intense periods of my work require total commitment, or the job is impossible. These two people were answers to prayer. I am generally cautious about calling things "answers to prayer", but I've been praying for days that I would be reminded, somehow, of why I got into this and what I like about it. I think I've got it now.

Thank God.

2 Comments:

Blogger Isabella in the 21st Century said...

Hi there!
I'm glad things are finally coming together for you! If you want to contact me here's my email:
plainandsimple227@hotamil.com

12:14 AM  
Blogger Isabella in the 21st Century said...

Aah, I meant hotmail (but I'm sure you guessed that one)!

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home