Thursday, September 14, 2006

Not Just Another Pretty Face

Well, if my three-year-old nephew won't marry me, there's always George Clooney.

Apart from the obvious reasons for which nearly all women love George, I love that he's got a serious mind (as well as a great sense of humor, a double-entendre voice, beautiful eyes, can rival Cary Grant in charm, and is the walking epitome of "masculine")...

Back to the serious mind.

Today I saw him and his father, Nick Clooney (another handsome charmer with beautiful eyes and excellent voice) being interviewed by the BBC. Apart from the fact that it was extremely distracting to have both of them sitting there (my friend Sara recently saw Ocean's Eleven for the first time and said, "It's just not right to have so many fine men in one movie"--shout out to Matt Damon and Don Cheadle!), I thought it was really excellent how they were working on this ongoing and un-dealt-with issue. The genocide in Darfur first came to my attention two years ago, and this is the second time that George Clooney has used what he calls his "celebrity credit card" to focus media attention on an issue that needs it.

Sometimes it's annoying to have celebrities talk about politics and "issues", because many of those celebrities are so fatuous. Apart from the fact that I'm pretty biased in favor of George, though, I like it in him. For one thing, he's up front about using his fame to focus on things that matter. For another thing, he's classy about it: he usually doesn't dog other people specifically, and when he does, it's really funny. He actually seems to think about the issues he talks about. He tries to argue reasonably and get people to pay attention to serious questions that are not easily compressed into sound bites.

I watched George's recent "political" movies, Good Night, and Good Luck, and Syriana, and loved both. Funnily enough, I'm not generally on George's side of the political spectrum. But I respect him when he talks about politics, because he's talking about issues, not people. I also respect his father, who is a journalist. Both men give the impression of thinking before speaking. That's something that doesn't happen all that often these days--especially in politics.

George Clooney on Darfur (if you want the video, click the button above the article):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5347660.stm

2 Comments:

Blogger Isabella in the 21st Century said...

Yes, George is my idea of a fine man. "Fine" in every nuance of the word, if ya know what I mean! I also follow his political statements and you're right they are thoughtful and never petty. I'm personally conservative but politically liberal (not an unusual combination in British Christians)and though I tut, tut, tut over his playboy antics I cheer his political activities...all he needs is a good woman you know. Does he know you're still single?

8:38 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

P-and-S:

"Fine" is definitely a word I would use! LOL!

Sigh...I have, rather, been holding out for George (feeling certain that, once he knew me, it would be Warren Beatty and Annette Bening all over again), but there's the little matter of actually meeting him. There must be a non-stalker-y way to do so, mustn't there be? (HA!)

PS. Plain-and-Simple: I absolutely want to get thoroughly acquainted with you, but I just haven't had much time to sit and chat. Most of my sitting-at-computer time has been spoken for...but I promise I will try to write you soon. I try to keep up with your blog and really enjoy it.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home