Monday, September 18, 2006

I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General

Wow. Sometimes life (read: my job) gets in the way of my blog. What's that all about? Where are my priorities? :-)

Anyway, brief entry today, just to keep my hand in: a dear friend of mine (let us call her Lulu) just sent me a CD of Gilbert and Sullivan selections. My G&S knowledge is not more than the average over-educated person would have, but I know I always enjoy them, and it was a very clever thing for Lulu to do.

G&S are rather like P.G. Wodehouse, I think: fun for word-lovers, and quite funny. I've only ever seen one production: a high-school (! very ambitious for this particular school--I was impressed by the fact that they even tried, though not particularly impressed with the quality) production of Pirates of Penzance. Penzance has my favorite G&S song, which I chose for the title of my blog today. You can find the lyrics here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_General

"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home