Saturday, November 11, 2006

Armistice Day

I don't have time to write all I would like to about November 11, but I would like to mark the day nonetheless. It is Veterans' Day in the US, but because I am such a World War I buff I always think of it as Armistice Day. I think all veterans should be honored and remembered. But on this day, I think particularly of all those who fought, suffered, and died (or survived, forever scarred) by that epic war.

The Great War brought the world into the modern era, and it set the stage for even bigger horror a heart-sickening twenty years later. Americans, particularly, don't grasp the relevance of World War I, but its importance really can't be over-estimated.

Spare a thought today for those who fought and died "over there", and for those for whom "over there" was home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home